Monday, October 30, 2006

Reincarnations


The sun was just beginning to set and it cut bright almost blinding ribbons of light across the lake. In the distance, there were sailboats, their sails pure white against the blue water. From almost anywhere in the house I could look out and almost imagine I could see the ocean. If I lived here, my friend Tricia said, I'd never get anything done. I felt exactly the same way.

Inside, we were sorting through and packaging up the remains of a life. Books, dishes, table linens, china, knicknacks, furniture, lamps, Christmas decorations ... in another week, they would all be neatly wrapped, arranged and priced and set out for sale. Possessions of one life would pass on to others, perhaps to fill a need, perhaps because they fit someone else's collection ...jewelry, glassware, candles, a fur coat .....they would go on being useful for someone else. I imagined their former owner would be pleased. Even the grand house on the lake would go to someone else, though in this case it would stay in the family and perhaps re-adapt itself.

Garden tools, planters, napkin rings, paintings, pillows, toys ....all would find their way to other homes. Tricia makes her living at estate sales and I like how she does it. She recycles possessions and preserves memories. Nothing is too small or to large to live another day.


No comments: