Thursday, October 12, 2006

20 Degrees of Difference


Butterbean looked at me, looked outside, and slowly eased herself away from the open back door. She sat down and cocked her head at me with a bewildered expression. It was 56 degrees and the day before it had been 82. She was unprepared and unwilling to cross the threshold that led to the outside world. The feeling was mutual but as a dog, she has no Plan B, so I tucked her under my arm and carried her out to the yard. The second I put her on the ground, she began to shiver and whimper and look at me with pleading, desperate eyes.

I stood firm. I refused to make eye contact or sympathize or be manipulated. I would not be moved. After several minutes, she tried a tentative step or two in my direction. I turned my back and pretended to study the clouds. Eventually, I was able to say "Good Girl!" and watch her sprint for the back door like her tail was on fire.

I've noticed some things about habits and change. The cats are immediately on guard if anything is moved - they become suspicious and have to re-adapt. Both dogs are fearful of a new piece of furniture. And I still reach for my toothbrush and other things in places where I haven't kept them for months. Established habits are very hard to break.

For me, moods and mental states are like habits. If I decide in advance that something's hopeless, it becomes so and I give up. If I decide in advance that anything is possible, then I'm willing to keep trying and I stay optimistic. Every day is an opportunity to choose a black cloud or sunshine.







1 comment:

Polyhymnia said...

Great way of putting this! Yes, I too find that moods and states of mind need practice to get stronger. It's like playing a musical instrument or learning a new skill.
Thank you!