Monday, October 23, 2006

Pulling Weeds


I have always taken very particular care of my grudges.

Like needful plants, I was careful to keep them watered and fed, provided them with lots of sunshine and fresh air and nutrients. I watched over them, nurtured them, checked them on a regular basis. I was a caregiver to hurt feelings and with my help, they blossomed, grew new leaves, and demanded more and more of my attention. Eventually,
they outgrew and overtook everything else in the garden. High maintenance plants became low maintenance weeds and weeds need no special attention to multiply and spread - they develop a life of their own.

This kind of gardening is hard on the soul. Weeds want it all and will choke out anything else that tries to grow. Give a weed an inch, and it will take an acre. When I began the long process of pulling weeds, I discovered just how strong and determined they are, how deep their roots go, how tangled and intertwined with each other they become.
They have a network. They're organized. They take no prisoners and will fight to the last leaf. Weeds eat their dead.

Be patient. Be prepared. Be committed. Wear gloves.

1 comment:

Polyhymnia said...

And, don't forget to enjoy the flowers that will spring up and flourish now that the weeds are being removed.