Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Warning, Will Robinson!


It's no secret that I hate technology.

Computers, cell phones, fax machines, answering machines, palm pilots, ipods - it's a high tech, digital house of cards. Just let one malfunction and it all comes crashing down. I'm a low tech, little picture kind of person and I miss carbon paper, number 2 pencils, turntables, rotary phones, erasers, and letters. Shrink wrap plastic is a product of the devil's workshop, voice mail had to have been invented by low ranking, bored demons with too much time on their hands, and I'm pretty sure all is not well with the world when greeting cards sing. Nevertheless, this is the world in which I live and work and making room for technology was not a choice but a requirement.

I am a product of the 60's and am struck by the fact that so many others of my age embrace technology. They did not kick and scream or protest at it's advance but rather welcomed it with open arms and curiosity. I see an insinuating virus that will mutate to gain ground - they see a tool to bring people closer. I see an electronic age where no one will need to learn to read or write - they see an age of time saving. I see high tech taking over like the kudzu in Stephen King's short story - they see progress.

In photography, I sometimes use filters - to make a warmer tone or a cooler one, to accentuate the blue of the sky,
to cut glare or even turn points of light into stars. In life, we see, hear and act through the filters of our own individual experiences. We interpret much the same way and because we all see through different filters, there's a great deal of room for error. I can hear critisism when it isn't intended, mistake frustration for temper, hear contempt that isn't there in a tone of voice because I was brought up with critisism, temper and contempt.

I'm slowly learning to coexist with technology just as I'm learning that sometimes the best filter is a clear one.



No comments: