Friday, September 08, 2006

There's a Hole in My Sidewalk

I first heard this many years ago in an aftercare session and it's always stayed with me - I think it's a lesson about everything.

Chapter One
I walk down a street and there's a big hole. I don't see it and I fall into it. It's dark and hopeless and it takes me a long time to find my way out. It's not my fault.
Chapter Two
I walk down the same street. There's a big hole and I can see it but I still fall in. It's dark and hopeless and it takes me a long time to get out. It's still not my fault.
Chapter Three
I walk down a street. There's a big hole. I can see it but I still fall in. But I keep my eyes open and get out immediately. It is my fault.
Chapter Four
I walk down a street. There's a big hole. I walk around it.
Chapter Five
I walk down a different street.

From "There's a Hole in My Sidewalk" by Portia Nelson.








No comments: