Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sometimes You Just Know


Buy land, Mark Twain said, it's the only thing they're not making more of.

For years, I owned a piece of property west of town. The plan had been to build a small cabin on it and live out our years away from the city. I would read and stitch, he would fish and work on the land. After the divorce, the land sat there, listed with one or another agents as the mood struck me and costing me tax dollars every year. I would sometimes get questions about it - my favorite was what kind of trees are there, to which I replied, the kind with leaves - but mostly I never gave it much thought. Then one day, the couple who had sold it to us called
and asked if I'd be interested in selling it back to them. They didn't want to build on it or develop it, they wanted to keep it as it was, a small island between their land and the highway. I immediately said yes. They are good people who love nature and respect wildlife and I knew they would be the perfect caretakers. It felt right.

Now and again, I get to make decisions based on a feeling I recognize as "right". I can't explain it, can't describe it, but I know it. Something falls into place and even if there's risk attached, I go with it because it feels right.
It may be at odds with logic or reason - feelings so often are - and it may not even stay "right" - but it's the best starting place that I've found.

Like a crossword puzzle clue, sometimes you just know the answer's right.



1 comment:

Polyhymnia said...

One of my favorite quotes is "At the center of your being you have the answer. You know who you are and you know what you want. There is no need to run outside for better seeing nor to peer from a window. Rather abide at the center of your being, for the more you leave it, the less you learn."
- Lau Tzu