Monday, August 07, 2006

Safe Harbor


My cousin Linda is a remarkable woman.

She has fought serious illness her entire life. She has been through the dilemma of aging parents and come out a stronger, more dedicated person. She has great patience and great compassion. She pays attention and she learns from everyone she encounters. She writes with flair and a touch of poetry. She has been a librarian in the prison system. She has been with the same partner for thirty years and still loves. She takes in an animal for it's lifetime. She has a strong spirituality, an every day kind of faith that is beyond religion. She believes in random kindnesses, liberal causes, justice. She believes in herself and she makes a difference.

She made a difference to my daddy between his first marriage and his second. She was there when I couldn't be and now she is sharing some of that time she spent with him, with me. Her writing has come to mean a great deal to me. She is, like my friend Tricia, shelter from the storm.

We all have to come ashore sometime.

No comments: