Thursday, August 31, 2006

Count Your Blessings


God has a plan for me, my friend Joe said. And all that's happening is happening for a reason.

I share his philosophy but confess that his faith is stronger than mine. He's been in recovery a long time, has worked all the steps and made his way through. He's learned to let go and let God. I still want things my way so it's a good thing when I get to talk with people like Joe. They teach by example, by how they see things and what they believe.

I'm fortunate enough to have a good many people in my life that lead by example. From my friend Tricia, I have learned about strength in times of crisis, courage under fire, loyalty and surviving loss.
From my cousin Linda, I see examples of patience, faith, tolerance, never giving up and being emotionally unafraid. From my friend Iris, the examples have been about generosity of spirit, about sacrifice, facing fears and working through trouble.

From my friend Henry I've learned that when in doubt, trusting your instincts will almost never fail.
And that friends take care of each other through good and bad times, especially bad times. My friend AJ is an example of a good and caring man, dedicated to his music, his family, and always ready to give of his time and talent. My friend Michael is the best example I know of seeing the good in everyone and never saying a harsh word against a friend or an enemy.

These are the people who influence and guide me, the people I listen to and trust, the people I turn to when in need. In the midst of their private pain, they all make time to help when they can and listen when they can't. Each is a gift in their own way.

No comments: