Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Words and Music


Whenever possible, I make it a point to avoid funerals. I don't find much comfort in the tried and true rituals, the music makes me emotional, and I hate crowds, even when filled with familiar faces. Life everlasting sounds good coming from a priest - and this priest had actually known AJ and his family for years - but the non-believer in me still isn't convinced about paradise, no matter how glowing it's made to sound. God is one thing, the soul is another, but
the concepts of either eternal damnation in a fiery pit or never ending walks with harp playing angels on streets of gold.........it just seems too manmade to be real.

You can't live 80 years in a small town and not leave your mark and while the church wasn't standing room only, it was so close that several rows of extra chairs had been set up inside the sanctuary and several more outside in the vestibule. Father Lacaze delivered an eloquent if slightly downhome-ish eulogy, communion was held, the Ave Maria was sung and a multitude of prayers were offered. It was, so everyone seemed to agree, a lovely service about family and music and all roads leading to God. I had slipped in a few minutes late and when it was over, the priests and the family filed out slowly and solemnly, and I slipped out. Eternal life or not, it was enough sadness for one day.

Words, even about the certainty of heaven, even from a priest, are still just words. They echo in the sanctuary, they make promises, they're meant to comfort and ease the loss of those left behind. They're gospel truth for the faithful and much as I want to believe, the cynic in me is still a hold-out. Call it what you will, but I'd rather have the man and the music here on earth.


















No comments: