Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Last Set at Red RIver


One minute he was blowing the fire out of a harmonica and the next, seconds after I snapped the shutter on the last picture of him I would ever take, he was staggering. He would've fallen except for the other musicians on stage who immediately reached out and caught him. We all watched it happening, initially puzzled and unable to make sense of it. And then finally everyone recognized the plainly visible signs – the left side of his face sagging and distorted, his left arm useless, his speech impaired and his balance gone – instruments were put down, the music stopped and someone grabbed a stool and helped him sit down. Someone else called 911 and he was immediately surrounded by friends, family and fellow musicians. Shock and disbelief, had, for several seconds, made us slow to react but once reality set in, it set in with a vengeance.

The EMT's arrived within minutes and we watched in stunned, heartbroken silence as he was strapped to a gurney and wheeled to the ambulance, still clutching his harmonica and struggling to speak. I heard muted crying and then the entire houseful of musicians and fans stood and began clapping. I don't know if he heard but I hope so. The only other sound I remember was the lonely wail of the ambulance. I desperately wanted it to be a life saving noise but at the same time, I wanted more desperately to shut it out.

That was on Sunday, May 20, 2018 and he died this morning. The damage had been massive and I have to think it was a mercy.

Godspeed and rest in peace, my dear friend. You were a gift in my life and you used your time well.














No comments: