Sunday, May 13, 2018

Finny At Large


The Plan: Do a little serious spring cleaning each weekend in May and be finished by Memorial Day. My hope is to to circumvent my lack of motivation.

I'm on my way to buy cleaning supplies when I come across the little white dog. She's some mix of maybe chihuahua and Jack Russell and she's standing in my driveway, watching me intently.
I take one step toward her and she streaks off. This becomes the pattern for the next three hours as she races from one end of the block to the other and back again, darting in and out of traffic - slow moving as it is but still dangerous - and checking out the neighbors yards at random. I call, I coax, I offer treats but she won't let me get close. I knock on doors but nobody recognizes her and I'm at my wits end when she's finally hot and tired enough to let her guard down. On a hunch, I get into my car and open the driver's side door and she hesitates a second or two then jumps right in. I slip a leash around her neck just as I've seen done a hundred times in rescue videos - she turns into a whirling dervish at this indignity but I stand my ground and slowly but surely lead her inside to a kennel I keep ready for just such emergencies. By the time I run my errands and return, she's settled down considerably and is sitting calmly and quietly. I take her picture to post to social media and check lost and found, hoping her owner might have noticed her missing but there's nothing, so reluctantly, I re-leash her and drive her to the local shelter. By the time I get back, her picture is posted along with her owner's name and within an hour she's reclaimed and returned home. I learn her name is Finny, she lives one street over, and according to her owner, is an accomplished escape artist. I have my doubts as to the last when I read that “she never leaves except today she did”. Still, it's a happier than usual ending and maybe her owner will have learned a lesson.

As for me, it got me out of cleaning for another morning.

















No comments: