Sunday, May 19, 2013

Lavender & Pearls

Under usual circumstances I would prefer root canal to having to shoot a wedding but my across the street neighbors have set up a child's birthday party on their front lawn - both sides of the street are so lined with cars that it's impassable, the screaming has been non stop for the last two hours, and the children are running around like mindless little chickens.  The black dog is three quarters out of her mind with the commotion and noise and I feel a little traitorous as I pack my camera bag and prepare to slip out the front door.  I agreed to do this over a year ago (a careless moment undoubtedly brought on by flattery, who imagined they would actually get married) but here it is - a sunny May afternoon with the temperature already in the 90's and a long and stressful evening ahead of me - it's a fine time to remember all the reasons I avoid working weddings.

The bride is a sweet young thing I used to work with and the groom a gifted young singer/songwriter, they've been together for years and I console myself with the notion that apart from her dress, there isn't likely to be much traditional about this wedding.  Seeing them together has always restored my faith in the idea of living on love - they're young, devoted to each other and only mildly starry eyed - a sweet couple whom I have every confidence will have a long and happy life together.  They both love kids, music, life and each other.

The wedding goes without a hitch - the weather is near perfect, the bride magnificent, the groom all smiles. There's champagne and singing, the families gather and celebrate, everything is lavender and pearls and soft light.  As there should be at all weddings, there's a little magic in the air.

It won't be that way forever - magic comes and goes - but sometimes you get a feeling it'll never be very far away.

No comments: