Friday, June 16, 2017

Beyond Mountains, Are Mountains

Beyond mountains, the Haitian proverb goes, are mountains.

The phrase stays with me for its simplicity and truth as I walk the long hospital corridor to see my friend, Blue. There are a thousand places I would rather be, a thousand things I would rather be doing. There's a pulse to this place and it mutes my senses. I hate the muffled background sounds - the call buttons and machines and the whispering sighs of doors as they open and close - this is a place of sorrow, secrets and pain.

She looks tired, I think, but really, the truth is that she looks exhausted and even more ravaged than she did yesterday. Her smile takes more effort, her breathing is more labored and her color is like chalk.

It's more fluid in my lungs,” she tells me, “I can feel it.”

No talking,” I tell her quietly, “I'm just going to sit with you awhile.”

Her fingers close around mine, weaker than yesterday, I can't help but notice.

Shut your eyes,” I say, “Try to relax.”

She looks so breakable, so defenseless and small, it hurts my heart and I have to will myself not to break down and cry.

Even in better times, she never was much more than a tiny slip of a girl. I'm only five feet tall and she barely came to my chin. We used to tease her mercilessly that she wasn't a hundred pounds soaking wet and carrying weights. I was shamefully envious of her flat belly and Scarlett O'Hara waist while she complained endlessly about being flat chested. I watched her struggle and finally win over alcohol and drugs, immediately reaching out to others less fortunate. She knew the name of every homeless or down and out street person and even if it meant her last quarter, never turned one away. She played guitar and drums and wrote songs, rode a Harley, smoked like a chimney, cussed like a sailor, survived the death of a husband, raised a daughter alone and worked like a field hand all of her life. That there will be no more better times is something I can't make sense of.

The doctors, who as best we can tell, have differing opinions on how to proceed, finally agree to siphon the fluid from her lungs for a second time. This time they draw off a full litre and leave a drain in place and a half hour later, she's finally able to breathe again. It takes a considerable more amount of coaxing, pleading and nagging to convince the nursing staff to change her bed linens and bring her a supper tray. The respiratory therapist arrives to give her a breathing treatment and frowns at her heart rate. Soon after, one of her doctors orders a new EKG. The night nurse appears with a pain pill and a sedative, we get her sponge bathed and into fresh clothes and at long last, she sinks wearily back into the pillows and falls into a drug induced but mostly peaceful sleep.

The mountains will keep til tomorrow.









No comments: