Thursday, November 08, 2012

Sour Grapes

The morning after the election brings a number of wildly enthusiastic postings about the outcome and a vicious surge of hateful, toxic, right wing ones.  Quite a few republican friends seem to want to leave the country and I'm overwhelmed with an urge to help them pack.  I respect their right to disagree, even to be be bitter and poor losers, but to be labeled a "traitor" because you don't share their political agenda is offensive.  For the first time that I can remember, I block the worst of them - let them spew their poison and racism elsewhere - they're entitled to their opinions but I don't have to listen.  And the country will survive this hatred and snarling disrespect just as it always has, although it does make me yearn for the literacy and intellect and reasonableness of the north.  I sometimes think that my part of the country values hypocrisy and superficial courtesy more than it does tolerance or equality.

I drive to work with a sense of relief and celebration, passing the clutter of now irrelevant Romney/Ryan signs still stubbornly standing in the front yards of the mansioned streets.  Living in the south often feels lonely to me - in my heart, I suspect that there are still too many of us that have never completely gotten over the Civil War - but the votes are in and it's time we all began respecting the rules and the results and most of all, the rights of others.  Equality extends to all regardless of race, income, gender, sexual preference or political party.

If that doesn't suit you, you don't have to stay.  I really will help you pack.




















No comments: