Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Things You Don't Say


Trying to convince my to sign up for our new health insurance plan, the doctor's wife gave me a sweet smile and suggested that I could cut back on expenses. Your fingernails, for example, she ventured with a meaningful glance at my manicure. When I shook my head at this notion, she shrugged. Or, you could sell your house and move. Startled speechless at this, my jaw dropped with the effort of believing that she was serious. Much later it occurred to me that I could've made a counter suggestion that she sell her expensive Land Rover and give me $1 an hour raise which I would in turn use to pay for the insurance. Tactless as it might have been, I suspected it would've have been deserved.

Replaying this conversation in my mind later in the morning I found myself getting angry. Sell my house and move? To be able to afford to sign up for health insurance?

She couldn't have really meant it, I told myself firmly.

I don't need you to worry for me cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life and leave me alone

Billy Joel



No comments: