Tuesday, March 23, 2010

No Room in the Helicopter


Trying to convince me to sign up for the new health insurance plan, the doctor told me a story about a woman trapped on the roof of her house during a flood. A helicopter arrived to rescue her but she would've been forced to leave her dog so she sent it away. I know they're like family, he told me with a patient smile, but times come and you have to put yourself first.

Sorry, Doc,
I told him in return, They're not like family, they are family and I would've sent the helicopter away too.
He looked at me a little sorrowfully as he might a helpless if slightly dimwitted child and shook his head, at a loss to understand my answer.

Loving animals isn't about logic. It isn't about the vet bills or the responsibilities or the sacrifices. It's not even about the trials or the joy they bring to your life. These small, dependent creatures each have their own god given life and if you're fortunate enough to share it, you do all you can to make it good, to make it last as long as possible. If there's no room for them in the helicopter, you don't go.




No comments: