Sunday, March 07, 2010

Getting Through the Day


Little by slow, they say in the 12 step programs, Little by slow.

I sometimes wish I could be 20 again, provided that I could keep my 60 years of learning and experience and do a better job of it. I've always liked the concept if reincarnation - it's a series of second chances to grow and come back smarter, kinder, more appreciative, working your way through different forms and seeing the world with different eyes. Playing with the dogs, on their level, I see a new perspective and I'm reminded that my own point of view may not be the only point of view, even feet take on a new meaning when you're at eye level with them. So while I see arrogance, someone else sees confidence. While I see poverty, someone else sees the inevitable consequence of laziness. While I see kindness, someone else sees weakness. Whatever we see or don't see, it's all through the filters we call our own experience. Overcoming our own experiences to see the other sides of things and people is a process and some of us are more open to it than others. Nothing changes slower or with more pain than inbred, comfortable fitting old attitudes - like a new pair of shoes, they need breaking in and wearing.

So, dear, the patient asked as she was fitted into a surgical boot, Does it come in navy blue?
The nurse glanced at her to verify the seriousness of the question. No, she said shortly.
And I have to wear it 24 hours a day? the patient persisted, Even when I sleep?
That,
the doctor said mildly, would be the definition of 24 hours a day.

Why, I wonder, do we seek out professional people, pay them for their counsel and advice, and then refuse to follow their instructions?

I need a bottle of red wine, the customer tells us, Not too expensive.
We make a suggestion, a modestly priced California cabernet from an old, established winery.
The customer handles the bottle, inspecting the label, frowning. Is this one good? he asks doubtfully.
Oh, a co-worker tells him with a broad smile to take the edge off, You want a "good" one?

Little by slow, I remind myself. Have patience, don't take offense at stupidity, smile, and get through the day.

No comments: