Saturday, August 09, 2008

Noodles in the Sink


Searching for a patient's chart in the B's, I was surprised to find an R. Later in the G's, I came across an L and still later a B turned up in the G's and an F in the L's. Houston, I thought to myself, We have a problem.

We all know about the dangers of assumptions but in the case of our latest new nurse assistant I had been guilty of making some, namely that alphabetical filing was not a skill but a matter of reading and that the concept of last name first and first name last was relatively universal. I was willing to concede that front and back copying required more cerebral alertness but taken aback when I heard her making reminder calls - May I please speak with Smith, John? I heard her say on her first call and thought to myself, Surely not.

Alas, the nameless, free floating anxiety I had been feeling and trying to deny had surfaced and given itself the name of incompetence. As my cousin wrote me, we seem to have a front row seat in this endless parade of useless, dishonest and inept help. Where do they come from, I find myself wondering. Amid all the available jobs in our small city, how do they so unerringly find us? In the space of a mere six months, this is number 8 and the prospects are diminishing with each termination. I can't help but think of my own work experience - summer camp counselor at 14, nurses aide at 16 ( while still in high school ), Ma Bell at 18 ( lasting 11 years ), administrative assistant to a theatre renovation project ( 2 years ), executive director for a humane society ( 2 years ), Barnes and Noble Bookstores ( 13 years ), a photo store ( 10 years ), a modeling agency ( 2 years ) and finally a medical receptionist during the day and a wine shop sales person at night. I have - as do the vast majority of people my age - what is called staying power, ethics and a sense of responsibility. We take the good with the bad and we stick to whatever committment we have made, we show up on time and stay put, we don't malinger or leave early,
tie up company telephones, drag our sick children to work with us, abuse company time, take four hour lunches or drink during working hours. We don't display cleavage or chew gum, fail to shower, or quit without notice. We are thirty year librarians or railroad engineers, social workers or ministers, journalists or retailers. We take our work, whatever it may be, seriously and we don't feel entitled or resentful. We learn English and how to use it, we smile even when it's an effort and we have initiative, loyalty, and the good sense to come in out of the rain. We can find our own ass without the aid of both hands, a flashlight, a compass or a Boy Scout troop. We may never get ahead of the curve but we do our level best to keep up and we believe that a job worth doing is worth doing well without a deep sigh of martrydom or a put upon scowl. We clean up our own messes and if we have soup for lunch, we don't leave noodles in the sink and then pretend we didn't.

We shall overcome or die trying.



No comments: