Friday, July 14, 2006

Room for All


The dogs treed another neighborhood cat this morning. She was perched on top of the fence, growling and hissing and they were frantically trying to claw their way up. Having seen this particular little drama before, I know my part and set about to give the cat an opportunity to flee but instead, she leaped over their heads and streaked across the yard at the speed of light. With both dogs in frenzied hot pursuit, she launched herself onto the opposite fence and climbed to the top where she turned, gave one final spat and then then jumped into the adjoining yard. The dogs were left howling dismally and circling like whirling dervishes. And I suspect, feeling slightly foolish.

I have cared for and loved animals as long as I can remember. I began life as a dog person, partially I think because of the unconditional love they give. I was drawn to creatures who were always overjoyed to see me, made no demands, wanted only to be loved in return. Dogs don't judge. They come when they're called, they're sensitive to your moods, they forgive in a heartbeat and they ask nothing in return. They're loyal to a fault,
trust absolutely, and could care less about skin color, gender, religion or sexual preference. It's no wonder I've
almost always preferred most animals to most people and am suspicious of anyone who doesn't love animals.

Marrying a cat person was a risk though. Cats are independent, arrogant, standoffish. You love a cat on its terms or not at all. You don't hold a cat so much as you provide a place for it to perch. Cats are indifferent,
too proud to apologize, too demanding and unlike dogs, complete control freaks. Acceptance comes easily to a dog and must be earned with a cat. So, I wondered, will this work? What will people say? Is it natural? Can I make room for a cat in life?

Ultimately though, cats and dogs are not natural enemies. Hatred is a learned behavior and though sometimes the most I can expect is a mild form of peaceful coexistence, my cats and dogs do live together. A little patience,
a little tolerance, a little space and a great deal of love can go a long way. So celebrate the differences. Embrace what you may not understand or approve of. There's room for all of us.


1 comment:

Polyhymnia said...

Thank you B.