Friday, July 14, 2006

No Place to Put the Dirt



I've never been much for gardening - when push comes to shove, I'll take white gravel and pink flamingos anyday -
but I live in the South and women are supposed to garden. It's supposed to be about heritage and image but I wonder if maybe we just like to dig holes. We all do it in life often enough and as I approach my 58th birthday, it seems to be on my mind more often than not. I suppose when we give up the idea that life will last forever and that there will always be time for everything - to apologize, hear the music, hug a friend, stroke a cat, laugh,
shed real tears, make love, create time for ourselves, pray, reach out - that's when we realize exactly how precious and how brief life really is.

Live, love, laugh, and be grateful. Every day really is a gift. And if you find yourself in a hole, remember that there are two ways out. You can dig or you can climb but digging is going to take a long time and there's no place to put the dirt. If you climb, you're much more likely to find an outstretched hand to help you up.

July 10, 2006

No comments: