Saturday, July 07, 2012

Worry Begone

Half empty, half full.  It's all in how you look at it.

During the moments when I let worry overtake me, the world turns a little dark.  My mind focuses on the negative - no insurance, no savings, a seven year old car, bills I won't live long enough to pay, not enough memory to absorb a changing workplace, no possibility of retirement.  I feel like I'm on the long road of what ifs with the chance of injury or illness lurking at every intersection and disaster in the making - the a/c could fail, the roof could cave in, I could slip and break a hip or simply keel over from too much chocolate and nicotine and not enough green vegetables.  The IRS could audit me, I could lose my livelihood, my bank could be indicted or lightning strike the massive pine tree and crush me in my sleep.  When it gets to the pine tree point, good sense usually kicks in and I take a breath and a step back.  There's absolutely nothing I can do about any of these possible scenarios and dwelling on them will only drag me down and depress me.  

Cowgirl up! I hear a voice inside my head say impatiently, Look on the bright side!

I have absolutely no signs of an oncoming heart attack or any other debilitating illness.
The car is running like a dream.
I'd be bored senseless if I were to retire.
The IRS has more important people to worry about.
I can start saving with the very next paycheck.
The pine tree has stood for well over a century.
Worry begone!

Attitude is everything, I tell myself and the little carnival of four footed children who are clamoring for supper.  The cats are loudly protesting from every corner of the kitchen and the dogs are dancing around my feet, the little daschund nipping at my cuffs and giving me deeply soulful looks.  The simplicity of their needs and lives brings me back to reality and I fill the eight dishes, put them in their accustomed places, and stand back to make sure nobody gets out of line.

All they ask is food, shelter, a warm bed at night and someone to love them.  As a general rule, they're almost always smarter and more well adjusted than I am.  Worry begone!









No comments: