Sunday, July 01, 2012

The Girl from Uncertain

She belts out a song like nobody's business.

With a thick mane of red hair, a guitar slung over one shoulder, and a voice that can go from tender love song to bar room brawl in an instant, the girl from Uncertain puts on a show.  Sometimes it's the lyrics that make her smile, sometimes it's the company, sometimes I think it's just that she's alive and singing, making each moment a celebration.  She doesn't hesitate or show fear or back off and as I get to know her better, I come to understand that it's how she lives her life - brazenly independent, determined, learning with every mistake and always coming back stronger.


She's on her 7th marriage, I'm stunned to discover, eight years now and still holding - a record, she tells me with a genuine grin and a shake of that amazing hair.  She can drive an 18 wheeler or operate a forklift, wait tables or arrange flowers.  She's a graphic artist with her own sign company and remarkably has two grown children - married at seventeen will do that, she says with a hint of pride.  All in all, she's a windstorm of talent, courage, confidence and survival, a woman of strength.  I suspect she gave up regrets a long time ago in favor of moving on, choosing to dwell on the good parts and downplay the bad.  


The women in my life who have inspired me all know a little something about adversity and getting past it.


My friend Tricia - we've known each other for the better part of thirty years and my trust in her is absolute.  She scolds, worries, advises, praises and is always there, no matter what foolishness I've gotten myself into.


My friend Iris - we've known each other pretty much since we could walk.  When I need logic and a push in the right direction, when I get lost in a fog, she's like a lighthouse.  Our memories go back a very long way.


My cousin Linda - reconnecting with her these past few years has taught me about tenacity, courage, self pity, and tolerance.  She's nearly the last of my blood family, a source of endless encouragement and understanding.

These are the women who have faced and conquered it all - divorce, widowhood, long term illness, social stigma and motherhood.  They are bright, funny, articulate and wise and each is a source of strength to me, living proof of what can be accomplished with determination, hard work, patience and no small amount of confidence.



Believe in what you can do.
Do what makes you happy.
It's easier than you think and worth every single second of effort.












  



























No comments: