Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Litter Free Zone


After a violent confrontation in the driveway, the trespassing cat fled for the side fence and slipped through the space between two loose boards. Both dogs, out of their minds with the boldness of the intrusion, were frantic and I had no sooner calmed them then the cat reappeared, back arched and spitting fire but determined, so it seemed, to gain access to the garage. She eased through the double doors with the dogs practically tearing at her hindquarters and in a sudden flash of insight, I realized that no self respecting cat would take that kind of risk unless - Oh, please, dear Lord, don't let it be - she was protecting her young. I wanted to scream, Not in my garage! Instead, I locked the dogs in and approached the building quietly, opened both doors and peered in. Nothing moved and I cautiously took a few steps forward then stopped and listened intently for several minutes - still nothing. I backed out slowly and shut the doors, trying with all my heart to believe that there were no newborn kittens, that there was another explanation, any other explanation would do. I can be very convincing when absolutely necessary but I didn't believe myself for a second. A cat would simply not intentionally take on two dogs, twice in the space of a couple of minutes, without a compelling reason - the thought of stray kittens was more than I could bear and I trudged back to the house in despair. This weekend, I thought to myself dismally, I'll deal with it this weekend.

On Friday, a third confrontation sent both dogs reeling with shock and running for their lives after they'd forced their way into the garage and encountered the cat in full attack mode. They hesitated for the merest second and she leapt at them in a fury, claws fully extended and teeth drawn back in an unattractive grimace. She could be suicidal, I thought to myself, or on crack. The black dog, bewildered at this unexpected turn of events and unable to cope with this role reversal, lay down in the driveway and stared at the garage with a puzzled look. The small brown dog, yelping and whimpering as she licked her imaginary wounds, fled for the back door.

Since then I have made several careful inspections of the garage and come up empty, there is not a sign of kittens and the grown female has disappeared, I haven't seen her in three days. Even so, I can't shake the feeling that somewhere on this dead end street, under a house or sheltered beneath a deck, hidden in a flower bed or concealed in someone else's garage - she waits, tending her kittens or preparing to have them, one more casualty of a throwaway mindset in a throwaway society. I pray for her safety and that of her litter, more, I pray that whoever allowed her to roam at will and breed freely will face the consequences of their irresponsibility.

The difference between companion animals and careless owners is simple - the animals are worth saving.

No comments: