Saturday, April 30, 2011

Come The Rapture


The Saddest Day In History Is Coming Soon! the billboard at the corner reads, then underneath, these words, Are You Saved?

I'm not exactly sure why this prominently displayed message/marketing tool/advertisement annoys me so but I find it offensive and will often alter my route to work to avoid seeing it. Perhaps it reminds me of the Jehovah's Witnesses who still - though uninvited and unwelcome - find their way to my door with their self righteous kindness and sad concern for my soul. Perhaps it's my natural cynicism toward zealots or my Baptist suspicion of evangelicals. Or my aversion to any end of days scenario limited to Christians. Maybe I just think that religion is better served if kept between believer and whatever higher power he or she chooses to believe in. Sitting at the red light, it occurs to me to wonder how many people could be fed or sheltered by the cost of the billboard alone - salvation shouldn't have dollar signs attached and shouldn't need billboards for its message.

I am, for better or worse, most assuredly not saved and will undoubtably be left behind come The Rapture but I still believe that no God would have created only one path to salvation and allowed only one race to travel on it. Redemption must be for all or it would simply not be worth seeking. We are, all of us, children of sin and all worthy to ask forgiveness. Without sin, who would need an afterlife?

At the end of each journey, what we have made of our lives will matter and there is no need of a billboard to remind us that we will be held accountable if but only to ourselves and each other. Harm no one intentionally, be as kind as you can, tread lightly and offer help where it is needed, find God where you will but keep it to yourself. If the Mayans were right, there are troubled waters ahead. Save yourself and let me worry about me.







No comments: