Sunday, February 01, 2009

Gucci'd Up


She flounced into the shop, dripping furs and diamonds, a patronizing and insincere smile fixed carefully in place, her husband trailing a few steps behind her like a subservient house boy. When she reached the counter, she rapped her red nails sharply on it and said I''ll have a bottle of the Chateau St Michelle.

Which one would you like? I asked her mildly and she narrowed her mascara caked eyes at me suspiciously. There's more than one? she demanded with the haughtiness of the privileged few and I nodded. We have two Reislings.... I began and she cut me off abruptly, No, no, it's not a Reisling, her tone suggesting that I had offered her Boone's Farm,
It's the one from the movie!

The movie? I asked tentatively, not having the first idea of what she was talking about and she raised her voice
unpleasantly and impatiently rapped the counter again with her nails, The movie! she repeated, Bottle Shock! This is a wine shop and you do work here? Come, dear, the Chateau St Michelle!

Could it be the Chateau Montelena? I suggested and her husband actually snickered, a small sound that he instantly turned into a combination cough and throat clearing. She gave him a brief over the shoulder glare and then turned back to me scowling. Whatever, she flicked one diamond studded hand in a dismissive gesture. Hiding a smile, I went to the cellar and pulled a bottle of Chateau Montelena from the rack. She produced her American Express Gold Card, holding it between the tips of two fingers, then hesitated for a fraction of a second. How much is it? she asked and when I said Five hundred and eighty five dollars, she blanched and withdrew the card hurriedly. Extortion, she muttered, Sheer extortion! And with a flurry of furs and Gucci boots, she turned on her heel and was gone. Martin! she snapped at her husband, We're leaving! He shrugged and pulling his hat brim over his face, obediently followed.

It could've been wishful thinking on my part, but I'd swear he was grinning.
















No comments: