Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Halfway Mark


Having reached and passed the halfway mark of my life, I'm fascinated by the young people I know. They don't know about old movies, old music, don't remember the day JFK was shot or where they were when Elvis died. They don't know about Woodstock or Timothy Leary, flower children or The Boston Strangler. They haven't seen Citizen Kane and don't recognize the name of Margaret Mitchell or Charles Manson. The everyday things I take completely for granted are foreign to them and some ask questions that amaze me - the concept that television was not always color always takes them by surprise, letter writing is unheard of, they can't imagine a telephone with a rotary dial or a home without a computer. They have an eerie propensity toward technology and aren't familiar with terms like "record player" or "pedalpushers" or even "dungarees".

I'm mystified by their music and taste in movies, charmed by their sophistication, impressed with their good manners and appalled at their spelling. On the whole, they are bright, quick to learn and they embrace change and challenge. They make good, responsible and unselfish parents and frequently choose careers that help their communities and offer less financial gain. They are well brought up and gifted, curious and daring to take risks, polite and optimistic. They feel an obligation to make things better and they figure things out on their own. They are artists and dancers and doctors and lovers of animals and fast cars, health conscious and quick witted. They get involved and they vote. They care about global warming and think green, they are brave and confident and eager. They expect to make a difference, they're committed, and they're the future.

To be honest, I can't quite remember being their age or if I was as dedicated or determined but I hope I was. There is so much promise in youth, so many expectations to be realized, how can it not come to pass?

No comments: