Monday, March 05, 2007

Day Pass People


The old lady made her way off the bus and headed in the direction of the store. She was dressed for the weather with her boots and gloves and a long coat with a fur collar. She wore a knitted hat pulled over her ears and carried a cane with three prongs on the end, an evil looking thing that I thought might double as a weapon although I knew it was meant for stability. When she reached me, she paused, leaned on the cane and demanded Ya'll sell fireplaces? Her thick glasses had slid down her nose and I could see her bright eyes ringed with makeup and intent on me. It wasn't all that unusual. A variety of interesting people were always wandering around the parking lot and though the sign clearly read "Photo Supply", we got asked all kinds of questions. No, m'aam, I told her, We're a camera store. Her eyes narrowed with suspicion and she raised her cane, jabbing it at the window display which featured a paper mache fireplace and a stuffed Santa Claus in a rocking chair. That's a fireplace, she announced with a tone that suggested the entire matter was settled. Yes, m'aam, I said and hesitated before adding But it's not a real one. She glared at me and raised her cane and on reflex I took a step backward, a move which made me feel instantly foolish and defensive. Well, allright then! she snapped and abruptly turned and began shuffling her way back toward the bus stop. I let out a breath I hadn't even known I was holding and snubbed out my cigarette.

One of the many sides to retail sales is the customers. They come in all shapes and sizes, all kinds of moods, all with some manner of expectation. They can be pleasant or threatening, polite or rude,
friendly or hostile, curious or condescending. Some are articulate, some are not. Some are arrogant and some are looking to be educated. And some are just out on day passes.





No comments: