Friday, November 10, 2006

Chained Out


Civility. Described in the dictionary as "an act of courtesy or politeness". If civilization as we know it were to depend on it, we'd be doomed. Every fast food restaurant would be closed, thousands of retail stores would be out of business, convenience marts would be a thing of the past, and not a single drive through pharmacy would be left standing.

I am fortunate enough to live in a small town with a great many family owned businesses - the people who run these businesses have taken the time and trouble to learn and remember my name. They still smile and mean it, still care that I'm happy with whatever services they provide, still are willing to go the extra mile that differentiates them from the chain businesses, all television advertising to the contrary. Unrealistic as it may be, I'm still hoping to find one of those smiling, literate, and pleasant people I see in the ads actually in a Walmart or McDonald's or a drive through pharmacy or a chain pet store.

If a waiter or bartender or bank teller or local mechanic can manage civility, why can't the chains? After 10 or 15 minutes in line, why is there no apology for keeping me waiting? If I ask a question, why can't I get an answer that is articulate and clear instead of muttered and sullen? Business is business, I suppose, but it doesn't have to be totally without grace.

Very late one night, I stopped at a Wendy's and found myself eleven cents short of the cost of my square cheeseburger and fries. I scrounged for it, emptied my pockets and searched the bottom of my purse, all to no avail. I offered to bring it back the next day, offered to drive home and get it right then - and I left hungry and empty handed. Typical chain thinking - lose a customer forever rather than sacrifice eleven cents.

On another night, I inadvertently left a local restaurant without paying. When I realized what I'd done, I called and assured them that I'd come take care of it - no problem, they said, whenever you have time, don't worry about it, we covered you.

Civility is home grown and a lot more than just Thank you, drive through.


No comments: