Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Chore of Charity

There was a decidedly dreary aura to the Old Sailors Home and in spite of Nana's grim smile, it gave me the willies. I hung back, not wanting to climb the crumbling concrete stairs, and most certainly not wanting to pass through the shabby doors with their grimy windows and peeling paint. A half dozen old men were clustered on and around the veranda and I was certain I could already smell the mustiness and decay. I suspected one or two might already be dead and just waiting to be discovered.

My grandmother, of course, would have none of it.

Get a move on, child,” she ordered, sharp but not really harsh, “Reckon those baskets gon' walk they's selves in alone?”

What I reckoned was that if'n one of those ancient, decrepit old men reached out a hand as I passed, it'd have dirt-rimmed talons and be likely to draw blood - just the prospect made me queasy - but there was no way to tell that to my distracted grandmother, now giving me an impatient glare and thrusting two crinkly, saran wrapped baskets into my hands.

Go!” she admonished firmly, “I'll be right behind you.”

We'd worked on them for a week, carefully rationing out equal quantities of everything from soap to shaving cream, toothpaste and Old Spice, chocolate bars and chewing gum. The Ladies Auxillary had collected an array of everyday items - packets of coffee and sugar, nail clippers, dog eared paperbacks and puzzle books, blank postcards and ball point pens – Miz Clara had personally knitted a dozen pair of wool socks and it'd had taken a half day to sort through and clean the second hand eye glasses and magnifyers. We sat around the dining room table and divvied it all up into the twelve baskets Miz Hilda had donated, then sealed each one in saran wrap and added the bows Aunt Pearl and Aunt Vi had made from leftover Christmas ribbon. When we were done, the women drew straws to see who would make the delivery and Nana won.

It's a chore of charity,” Aunt Vi told me as we loaded the old Lincoln, “Them that has is meant to see to them that hasn't.”

Yes'm,” I said innocently. I had no suspicion what lay ahead or that them that hadn't would be so tragically without.

Mind me, child!” my grandmother was saying irritably, “We ain't got all day!”

To my dismay, it was worse inside. I could feel the damp from the water stains on the walls and ceilings. I caught one sneaker on the threadbare hall rug and nearly lost my balance. The air was stale and smelled faintly like our two seater in the garage but with a healthy dose of bleach that stung my eyes and scratched at my throat. I could hear the sounds of crying and coughing and shouting. Just as I was thinking I might lose my lunch and wondering how could she have brought me to such a dreadful place, I felt my grandmother's knee in the small of my back.

Go!” she hissed, “Eyes front! The room at the end of the hall!”

I lurched forward, past the once ornate but now cloudy mirrors, past the sea scape pictures hanging crookedly on the walls, past the row of dusty wheelchairs propped against the staircase,
past the closed doors of closed rooms on either side, and finally into the light at the end of the hall where a covey of nurses in antiseptically white uniforms and starched caps were at work.

I declare,” one of them called out, “If it's not Miz Watson with the Canada Day baskets!”

There was something normal and reassuring in the nurses quarters, something that put some distance between them and the horrors of the rest of the place. I quickly began to feel less trapped, less at risk, and when they offered to have the remaining baskets brought in for us, I felt positively welcomed and in good hands. I was eight or nine, easily spooked by own vivid imagination but just as easily able to recover, especially when one of the nurses offered to let us leave by the back door and through the garden. The flowers were in bloom and there was a sweetness to the sea air that no house of horrors could take away.

Them as can do, has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as have no voices. - Terry Pratchett













No comments: