Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Little Dogs, Little Tyrants

It wasn't 'specially cold, wasn't even raining 'specially hard and two of the three dogs headed out the back door without hesitation. The tiny one, however, took one look at the raindrops splashing on the wooden deck and scurried off like a wounded crab. I caught him in three steps,
carried him outside and deposited him on the damp grass under the shelter of the shrubbery. The look he gave me was part apprehension, part bewilderment and part betrayal.

Seriously,” I told him firmly as I tried not to laugh, “You won't melt.”

The look changed to indignation when a raindrop landed on his head and startled him. He jumped a little then shook it off and took a few small, tentative steps sideways. All I could think of was Harry Potter in the maze but without Harry's courage. Another raindrop landed, closer to his hindquarters this time, and he shivered miserably. While the small brown dog and the little dachshund watched - in amusement, I had to wonder - I brushed the branches and shrubs away and re-located him to a mound of pinestraw. This seemed to reassure him and he nosed about for several minutes then finally hiked one tiny leg and did what had to be done.

What a good boy!” I told him when he trotted back and made a hasty run for the back door.

Safely back in the house and only a little damp from his adventure, he immediately regrouped and reclaimed his un-timid inside self, snatching a treat from my outstretched hand, unleashing a Wagnerian chorus of barking at the cats and tearing after the youngest at full speed.

Twenty minutes later, he's laid out fast asleep and snoring like a freight train. Little dogs rule.














No comments: