Sunday, November 27, 2016

Note to Self


There is, I keep reminding myself, absolutely no point in engaging the chronically stupid low lifes who post things like righteous demands for proof that the president elect is a racist. I might just as well engage a brick wall.

I also find I have no patience for friends who enjoy telling me – oh, so righteously - it's time we come together, in effect, advising me to get over it.

You do not just get over the death of your country.

Charles Dickens wrote “I hope that truth and real love are stronger in the end than any evil or misfortune in the world.”

I hope so too but I'm not holding my breath. Not while there are white supremacists in the cabinet and advising the president. Not while so called evangelical christians preaching hate are at the president's elbow. Not while the rich are whispering in his ear and the less fortunate are dying off.

I believe the country will survive the next four years.

I hope it will be intact and that we will be able to salvage some small amount of grace, civility,
courage and honesty.

I pray it will be enough to repair and build on.

But this I know to an absolute certainty: Things will never be the same again. We will never be the same again. Something in this country died this month and something truly ugly was exposed.

It was there all the time but we weren't paying attention.







No comments: