Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Lucy

My first instinct was to say no, find someone else to photograph a dying dog. But I didn't and once I meet her, it only takes a few minutes to understand how wrong it would've been to say no.

Lucy's four footed siblings greet me with the unbridled joyfulness of well loved and well cared for animals who have never met a stranger. They're all wet noses, frantically wagging tails and trusting eyes. Her human family is more reserved. They both smile and say hello but there's a wariness in their eyes, a hint of suspicion. Lucy herself, a young pit bull, lies quietly on a quilt at their feet. She's a shy and slow moving girl and I sense the camera slung around my neck is making her apprehensive so I slide it to one side and kneel down beside her. She watches me with her big brown eyes and sighs. She's an innocent, made weary by the cancer and in her final days. We spend several minutes becoming friends.

All five of them live in a rusty van they keep parked on the outskirts of a campground just past the interstate. They're here for the daily meal that social services provides the homeless - today it's red beans and rice with salad, iced tea and cornbread - and if the hot water holds out, a shower and maybe a change of clothes. I'm here to photograph Lucy. My friends in the outreach program tell me she isn't likely to survive more than another few days and it's impossible to be in the middle of all this poverty and heartbreak and not want to break down and cry.

We make our way - slowly, to accommodate Lucy - outside where the late afternoon light is at its kindest. At the family's suggestion, I shoot Lucy first so she can get out of the heat and back to her quilt. For a precious few minutes, I worry about background and focus and her expression and am actually able to forget about the cancer. It's easier than I thought and when we move on to the hound dog and the feisty little Jack Russell mix, the mood lightens considerably.

The pictures are a success and I'm grateful and honored I was asked to take them.

Life is what you celebrate. All of it. Even the end ~ Joann Harris



No comments: