Friday, March 04, 2016

A Life Well Played


The very second I laid eyes on him crossing the park and heading for the stage with those long, graceful strides and his shaggy hair blowing about his face - well before he'd played as much as a single note - I went dry throated and weak in the knees. I'd never seen as good looking a man in my whole life.

He was taller than I'd expected, solidly built, mustached and bearded with a shock of thick, long-ish silver hair and wire rimmed glasses. When I came to, I introduced myself and he gave me a grin - authentic, genuine, and over the top sexy - shook my hand and thanked me for coming. When he took his seat at the keyboard and started to play, I was lost in the first chords. I soon learned that he was a gracious and good man, a remarkably gifted and dedicated musician, an old soul, and an absolutely class act. But at the time, it was all chemistry, charisma and raw sex appeal.

I feel very fortunate that I got to hear him play a half dozen or so times, always with my camera close at hand.

Now that the cancer is stealing his life, I wish it had been more often. I wish I'd had the time to get to know him better or longer.

He's quoted as believing in an afterlife and being sure he has a place waiting in it. I have absolutely no doubt that he's right - it will be a better place for his presence - but I'd still rather he got a miracle. Because he's one of those rare people who deserve to stay a little longer.

I'll never forget my first sight of him and it's how I'll always remember him - a sexy, charming lion of a man full of life, love, laughter and music - he'll be leaving us far too soon but not even cancer will be able to take take his music, his spirit, or his legacy.

Peace and love, piano player. You done good.

No comments: