Thursday, April 16, 2015

Scar Tissue

In one of his rare serious moments, my friend Michael tells me his theory that we are different people at different times in our lives.  This, he says, helps explain some of the decisions we make, especially the bad ones.

I consider this and quickly decide he's most likely right - I am certainly not the person I was at twenty or thirty or even a year ago and neither is he nor most of the people I know.  

It's a process, I think to myself, inevitable and inescapable.  We move forward, we move backward and sometimes we stall and move sideways but we move.  Hoping for progress and growth, defining our strengths and clarifying our flaws.  We spend the years hurting and healing and learning to forgive ourselves.  Most of us let go of some grudges and nurture others, building layer upon layer of wisdom and scar tissue each in our own way.  

The downside is that we're too late smart all too often.  As the old saying goes - if only I knew then what I know now.

Maybe we need to be all those different people to come to our genuine selves.

Time, Marty Rubin wrote, doesn't pass.  Time continues.













  

No comments: