Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Broke Down Days

Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
Charlie Chaplin

Sitting in a bar listening to a fast set of bluegrass, I instinctively tap my fingers and toes.  That's the first time I notice that my left foot doesn't cooperate.  I think "tap" but it doesn't respond.  A day or so later, after several unexpected near trips and almost falls, I realize I'm dragging it slightly when I walk - not hugely noticeable but enough to feel awkward - it's nothing I can put my finger on, but my gait feels off and out of sync.  Pinched nerve, I decide, maybe drop foot.  There's no tingling, no numbness, no pain but I can't bend my toes upward.  When the word stroke comes creeping around the edges of my mind, I give it a violent shove and send its sorry ass flying.  I may have my old, creaky and broke down days, but I'm not going there.  Uh-huh, not none of me, I tell myself as if I could will it away.

When, after a decent interval, it gets no better and only marginally worse, I give in and decide to see the doctor.  I opt for the podiatrist, partially because it's an optimistic decision, partly because all my instincts tell me that it's where my regular doctor would end up sending me anyway - at least that's what I hope/pray/believe -  partly because I want to put as much distance as possible between me and the dreaded "S" word.  A few days later I'm cooling my heels in an opulent, uptown office with all the trimmings , a wretched excess of the fanciest, newest medical equipment and computer gadgets, and a staff of thirteen.  The doctor, heavier than I remember and now silver haired, is thriving - still married to the same woman and doing well enough to have taken on a partner and bought his own building - he remembers me from my days at the photo store which we both agree seems like a lifetime ago.

He examines my recalcitrant foot, puts pressure here and there, has me push against his hand from a dozen different directions and diagnoses a compromised peroneal nerve.  He advises a nerve conductivity toxicity test to pinpoint the source and asks how I'd feel about a brace.

You'd walk without having to remember to lift your foot and you wouldn't trip, he says and that's good enough for me.

No stroke?  I ask.

No stroke, he tells me firmly.

Optimism will out.  I knew it all the time. 





No comments: