Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The Subdued Side of Sixty

It's a cold and cloudy New Year's Eve day.  Rather than join in at one of the local hot spots, I opt for a covered dish supper at the local coffee shop where the celebration will be low key and non-alcoholic and the music will be gentle.  Here on the subdued side of 60, there's no need for bright lights and noisemakers to welcome in a new year - I'm content to have it slip in while I'm sleeping.

I'm not much for resolutions either.  I can't recall a single one that I made and kept and the whole process has begun to seem silly.  I can find enough guilt in just living one day to the next, no need to formalize it.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but since I don't drink and don't care to spend intimate time with those who do, drunkenness doesn't have much to recommend it.

All in all, it's pretty much just another day on the calendar only with fireworks.  Waiting for the dogs to make their last patrol of the night, I stand shivering on the back deck and watch the sky light up with reds and blues and whites and greens.  The colors explode against a background of stars.

The sun comes out the first day of the new year, a good sign, I tell myself even though it's still bitterly cold.
Here we go, 2014.  Behave yourself.  Keep your head down and your eyes on the road.



No comments: