Thursday, January 16, 2014

Lost & Found

Despite the astonishing level of ignorance on the social media site, I've never gotten into an active debate or really lost my temper over a posting until this:

Hey Dog Lovers,
The next time you see a dog running loose in the street, evaluate whether they look abused, lost, helpless etc.
My dog, who is a wild pack-dog, descended from the Native American dogs before us White folk came here, Carolina Dog, Dixie Dingo, has escaped from time to time....he always comes back! 
If they look well cared for, collared, good chance they are going to go home soon! If you pick them up, you are creating more problems!
Just last week when it was so cold, I arrived home at 10:00 after my restaurant job. I had an armful of stuff to take into the house...I open the door, Ellerbe takes off. A few minutes later, E returns and a car with a nice man and woman ask me if that's my dog! Yes!
They were gonna pick him up! 
I would have been really disturbed and worried about E had they succeeded! 
Don't be overly do-gooders!


I responded:

 Of course he "always comes back" until the day he doesn't. Dog running loose - whether needy or abused or not - are in peril and in violation of the leash law. Please don't blame or accuse people who pick up loose dogs and tell them they cause "more problems". Some of us don't like scraping dead animals off the streets.
I have a friend who makes banners.
Perhaps we could have her make signs for the non-needy, non-abused looking dogs that are running loose - "Please don't try to help me, I'm on my way home, and I'm immune to being hit by cars or getting lost". Owners could attach the signs to the collars and we'd never be accused of being "overly do gooders" or "creating more problems" than we solve by picking up a dog at large. I'll get right on that. Oh, and to be clear - if, God forbid, any of my dogs ever got out, they are NOT immune to traffic or getting lost so I'd pray that someone would be kind enough and caring enough to pick them up and bring them home. I wouldn't be offended.

I wonder if she'd be kind enough to tell me where she lives so we can watch for and not help her dog.  

And by the way - I'd have dropped that "armload of stuff" and gone after him in a heartbeat.  

It's not rocket science.
 

No comments: