Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Three on a Match

I'm not usually much for superstitions.

Black cats cross my path a dozen times a day, I don't throw salt over my left shoulder and I've been known to walk under ladders without a second thought.  You make your own luck, I've always thought, and no rabbit foot or four leaf clover is going to change fate but when I felt the chain that holds the small gold cross that I've worn for over 45 years suddenly come unfastened and slip, I confess I had a very bad moment.  A close inspection revealed that it was not something I could quick fix and to my dismay, I couldn't find a single other chain fine enough to attach to the cross.  Worse, it was a Sunday and even if I'd been willing to risk leaving home and the possibility of being struck dead by a lightening bolt, the jewelry stores were all closed.  I slipped the chain and cross into my pocket and hoped it would be enough.

The next day, the lady at the jewelry store smiled at me.

I understand perfectly, she assured me then said it would be the end of the week before it could be repaired, making it clear that she understood absolutely nothing. The thought of being without the cross for practically a full week sent a chill up my spine and I shook my head violently and opted to look at a new chain.  I started to explain about the lightening bolts but she was already pulling out a jewelry tray.  The price tags sent me into a mild state of shock but I held my ground, bravely handed over my credit card and a few minutes later she fastened the necklace around my neck and I felt at peace again.

It's only a piece of jewelry, a decoration, an indulgence or maybe a concession but this I know - without it, like the third soldier in the foxhole, I'm at risk.

But like I said, I'm not usually much for superstitions.


No comments: