Monday, April 01, 2013

A Little Perspective

The fan in the newly installed heat/ac unit doesn't seem to know when its work is done - even when I turn off the whole system, it keeps running like the energizer bunny.  I make a note to call the contractor first thing Monday morning.

After three days, I finally regain email access on my laptop but the programs that are running in the background and slowing things down to a snail's pace are still cheerfully running - also, call me surprised, my passwords are suddenly invalid.  I make another note to call AOL in the morning and then take the vile thing for repair.  Of course, I might also decide to simplify my life and run it over with my car - I haven't quite decided yet.

A killer storm hits, bringing gale force winds and flooding.  Naturally, I'm out in the worst of it, a quick trip for catfood turns into a minor apocalypse and by the time I get home a mudslide is in progress.  I curse the city and its engineers and make a last note to call them again on Monday - it's been three months and still no one has re-sodded the yard, as promised.

Once inside I shed wet clothes and dry my hair and settle in to watch Jesus die again on the cross.  The story never fails to make me cry.

It's late in the evening when, disgusted, discouraged, and still angry about all these trials and tribulations, that I go on line again.  And that's when I see that a mammoth tree has fallen during the storm and destroyed the house of a musician friend - there's nothing left but a pile of debris - he's posted that no one was home at the time so not to worry.  

How foolish we can be to fret and fuss over the insignificant and trivial problems in our lives.


No comments: