Sunday, March 10, 2013

Have Faith

Remember, I write to a friend, God doesn't give you anything you can't handle.

She writes back of her faith - it's stronger than mine but I don't tell her that - and of the tests she's facing and all the doctors she's seeing, including a neurological surgeon.  She doesn't tell me what's wrong and I don't ask.
She is, as she writes, "still processing the latest results" and I know enough to back off and give her room.  

The truth is that God very often gives us things we can't handle or change or accept.  His eye may be on the sparrow but that doesn't mean He saves the poor, little bird from the prowling backyard cat.  Sometimes I think He just watches and waits, a grand spectator but a spectator nonetheless.  It's a random world and things are set in motion over which we have no control.  Sometimes all any of us can do is stand and watch.
Have faith, I write uselessly, Know you're in my prayers.  I have no illusions that the words will make any difference but some kind of understanding and reassurance is called for and it's the best I can think of - when in doubt, faith is my fall back position - if not in God, then in the resiliency of the human spirit, in destiny, in beating the odds, in some form of higher power.  Provided we pray for the right things - guidance, strength, endurance, wisdom and not winning the lottery or, no matter how badly you might need them, a new set of snow tires - no prayer is ever offered in vain but we are human and seriously flawed and when the answer seems to be "no", it's easy enough to write off the whole process as superstition and give up.

Faith - mysterious, intangible, fragile, inexplicable.

You have it or you don't.

Either way, have the time of your life with the time you've got left.  It's the only sensible thing to do.



  






  


No comments: