Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Captain Hook's Waltz


My friend, Jim, will undoubtedly end up somewhere with a typewriter, a stage, a cocktail and an adoring public.  My mind is full of memories as I sit in this cold chapel, surrounded by strangers and friends alike, all who loved him so dearly.  It is, without exception, the most glorious service I've ever attended - there are tears, to be sure, but there is also laughter and story telling - the sadness we feel at his absence is mixed with the joy at having known him.  My daddy might not have completely approved of laughter at a funeral but I think he'd have understood and been glad for it.  And Jim - well, he loved the spotlight.  The only time I cry is during the playing of Captain Hook's Waltz when I'm instantly transported back in time to a small, dark community theatre, to what he always said was his favorite role.  It was the night I fell hopelessly in love with a pirate and I'm not sure I ever got completely over it.

I'm not sure I ever wanted to.










No comments: