Sunday, December 25, 2011

Peace on Earth

After an all day and night rain on Christmas Eve, Christmas morning finally comes - it's clear and cold and the sky is still trying to clear.  Merry Christmas, I tell the small brown dog peacefully asleep on my pillow.  The black dog stirs and nudges me with her nose.  And to you too, I say.  The cats, being cats and very wise, watch and wait - they will spring awake and rush for the kitchen when I throw back the covers, but not before.  


All over the city - all over the world - I imagine children are waking, some to their first Christmas morning.  Sleepy parents are gathering their wits, cameras are being set up, coffee is being brewed and church bells are ringing.  Tis the season for gifts and family celebrations, homecomings and hope.  For this one morning, I think, 
all is well with the world.


May there be peace and enough to eat for everyone.  May there be shelter and warmth, an end to violence in all forms.  May confused and troubled minds be clear and self respect restored for all.  May we all find a better way.
And may The Cat Who Lives in the Garage and all others like her, come in from the cold.

No comments: