Saturday, November 19, 2011

All Souls Together


My cousin Linda's ghost story ( inthesamevein.blogspot.com) captured my interest immediately - in part because it was mysterious - who doesn't like a good ghost story - in part, because I admire her writing, and in part because I like the idea behind it, that anything is possible if we are open minded and just a little bit brave.

The thought that the circle of life doesn't end with death comforts me far more than the ideas of heaven and hell I was taught as a child. I don't think of myself as a highly religious person, but I do rely on my sense of spirituality in most if not all things - we are all, so I believe, connected on one level or another - with each other as well as some higher power on some higher plane. It's only one short step to the next level, that life continues in ways we don't recognize or understand and that every soul, including my beloved four footed ones, has a shot. If ever I am to encounter a restless spirit, I hope I will be curious and not afraid, brave and not disbelieving. If I hear footsteps in
an empty house or a cry in the night, I hope I offer to help and not run for cover.

I think we all leave something behind for others to remember, to be guided by, maybe even to follow. It helps, of course, to be a romantic and accept the movie versions of the afterlife with angels watching over us and keeping us from harm - a Brad Pitt or a Will Smith at the end of the road, beckoning us into the sunset is hardly anything to fear. My idea of heaven is Rainbow Bridge and a reunion with the animals I have loved all my life - it will be smoke free and sunny and at the edge of an ocean with the blues playing in the background.

Cleaning out my grandmother's house after her death, I sensed her presence in every room. At my friend Scotty's memorial, I was sure he was watching and listening. I can still hear my friend Ran's dry sarcasm at my stubborness and still hear the music my friend Danny made.

Ghosts are everywhere, all souls together.

No comments: