Monday, December 20, 2010

Recovery Road



It's a pleasant enough facility - clean, lots of windows, every floor brightly decorated for the holidays. There is a spacious community dining room, the staff smile and welcome visitors and a large sign that reads "Recovery Road" hangs over the entrance to the physical therapy area. I find my friend, Henry, in a sunny 4th floor room in one of three beds, "The Andy Griffith Show" is chattering from his roommate's side of the room, otherwise it's peaceful. Aides are delivering dinner trays although it's just four in the afternoon - nights in hospitals and rehab centers come early and it's a long time til morning - these are empty hours for those in pain and seeking sleep. Patients with intact minds and atrophied limbs wait for morning and some relief from the boredom, even the misery of physical therapy is welcomed.

I find my cell phone and call his daughter. They chat for a few brief minutes, she assures him she is fine and will be here for Christmas, he assures her he's fine and being well cared for - there is truth and deception on both sides, neither wants to burden the other with the realities that she is in the midst of a divorce or that he faces a long and difficult recovery and is not likely to be home for the holidays.

A dinner tray arrives and the call ends. He eats unassisted, stubbornly and awkwardly struggling with his one good hand and accepting my help only to pour him a plastic cup of juice. The effort of eating is enormous and leaves him exhausted and when he's done he sinks back into the pillow with a self satisfied grin, I did it myself, he tells me and I smile at him, Indeed you did, I say, And did it very well.

We work on a crossword puzzle together for a little while, he solves while I fill in answers and in between we talk of Christmas and pain and therapy and friends. A journey of a thousand miles, I say to him and he replies, Begins with a single step.

How do you eat an elephant? I ask and he answers without hesitation, One bite at a time.

I tun his pillow, straighten the covers, give him a final sip of juice and a kiss then slip out, leaving him to his thoughts and I hope a good night's sleep and peaceful dreams.



No comments: