Thursday, February 25, 2010

Acts of God


Why do people have to die? I asked the new Sunday school teacher. He smiled at me with the tolerance of age, It's God's will, he told me kindly.

Why do people have to die? I asked the priest. That's not for us to question, he told me firmly.

Why do people have to die? I asked my fourth grade teacher. Why do you think? she asked in return.

Why do people have to die?
I asked my grandmother. Nana frowned and said, How in heaven's name should I know? Maybe God isn't paying attention.

Why do people have to die? I asked my daddy. He lifted me onto his knee and stroked my hair, a gentle gesture, then kissed my forehead. I think, he said softly and in all seriousness, it's to make room for someone else.

Only the last answer made any sense to me - it seemed reasonable then and it still does. There's a small bit of comfort in the idea that we make room for others, that we use the space and time that is lent to us and then pass it on. It's not good enough, of course, nothing really ever is in the matter of death and dying, and there are times when my grandmother's answer seems more apt - acts of God and nature can be unbearably cruel and sadistic, passing the understanding of even those with perfect faith - but for a child, a simple but straightforward answer is often best.
Possibly it's the best answer for us all.

Mark Twain wrote that "Land is the only thing they're not making more of." Limited space is comprehensible, easily demonstrated, and pretty much everywhere we look no matter how old we are. We should use it well, wisely, and leave it better than we found it. Like time and life, we will give it up one day.

What happens after?
I asked the the Sunday School teacher. Why, we go to heaven and have life eternal with Jesus and the saints, he told me somberly.

What happens after? I asked the priest. Have faith, he said.

What happens after? I asked my fourth grade teacher. What do you think happens? she asked in return,

What happens after? I asked my grandmother. Nana frowned and said, You'll find out when you get there.

What happens after?
I asked my daddy and he smiled at me and shook his head. I don't know, hon, but it happens to us all so whatever it is, you won't be alone.






No comments: