Monday, October 13, 2008

Faith, Fear, and Repair Bills


Sometime during the night, the air conditioning began to make whistling noises. It came on with a loud whoosh I'd never noticed before and seemed to be running with a mild roar instead of the usual quiet hum. By morning, it was still cooling but was was also vibrating half the house and rattling the other half. I didn't even want to think about what might be wrong and fearing the worst, I shut it down.

In a series of unforeseen events, it's often difficult not to imagine that the entire world has targeted in on you personally. The air conditioning breaks down, followed by the car breaking down, followed by an intestinal virus, followed by the air conditioning breaking down a second time, all in the course of two weeks. I want to scream at the heavens to cut me some slack but instead I reach for the credit card and sigh, thinking there's no end. God has bigger issues and likely doesn't care much about my credit problems and as the entire world seems to be jumping from one crisis to another, cosmically speaking, my debt is hardly a priority. I'm reconciled to the fact that it will outlive me and am comforted by the thought that it will not follow me to my grave. So I take a breath, remember that it could always be worse, pick myself up and keep going.

You can't run away from trouble, ain't no place that far, as Uncle Remus said. Living is a matter of overcoming adversity one day at a time and finding peaceful moments in between. Faith is faith - without substance or proof, without even evidence, yet it's sometimes all we have to go on. If you could hold it in your hand, then everyone would believe.


No comments: