Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Loose Boards & Lost Dogs


In the face of adversity, dignity is useful but underwear is more practical.

The loose fence board was in the far corner of the yard, hidden by weeds and shrubs. Unbeknownst to me, the small brown dog had been digging at it for days and finally managed to pry it loose. Being a dog with a dismal understanding of consequences and faced with a gaping hole between the slats, she immediately jumped right though and into the land of next door, eight pounds of curiosity bound for adventure.

I discovered her missing several minutes later and when I found the hole in the fence, I panicked and ran for the front yard barefoot, un-showered, barely dressed. There was no sign of her on the street and I ran up and down the block, shouting her name and imagining the worst. Fear and adrenaline had taken charge and beaten back good sense and rational thinking. Meanwhile, the black dog was repeatedly slamming her body against the gate and barking like a wild thing trying to break through a cage. I couldn't catch my breath and there was a sudden sharp pain in my side which brought me to my knees where I was forced to reevaluate the situation. Bleeding from both feet, sick at heart and desperate, I got to my feet. Maya's barking persisted, now highpitched and verging on hysterical and I wasn't sure how many more assaults the gate would withstand. I wiped away tears and began to whisper a prayer, Please, God, help me find her, she's so small, please God, and as I limped up the street, I suddenly heard the sound of a tinny bell. I looked up and the small brown dog was strutting toward me, ears up, tail held high, proudly carrying a long, thin tree branch in her mouth. She leaped into my arms, branch and all, her adventure over and ready to come home.

Is she ok? Are you? a voice suddenly asked and I turned to see the young man who lives across the street at my side, holding a blanket which he threw over my shoulders. His voice was concerned and kind. Next time, he said and I heard a smile in his voice, You might want to rethink the outfit.

With lightning speed, my mind raced back to getting dressed that morning. A paint stained pair of sweatpants with a medium sized tear up one leg ( that now extended from hip to ankle ) and an oversized men's basketball jersey cut to the waist on both sides and designed to be worn over something else. I had chosen it for comfort

and not modesty and had bypassed underwear altogether, a decision which had seemed reasonable at the time but now as I was beginning to realize with horrifying clarity, had been an unwise choice. I tightened my grip on the borrowed blanket while I pondered my next move. A mad dash for the front door was an atttractive choice but it seemed short term unless I was assured of never seeing my neighbor again and that didn't seem likely. The alternative was to gather Butterbean and what dignity I had left and make a strategic retreat. I took a deep breath and retreated.

When facing adversity, hold onto your dignity but don't forget your underwear.



No comments: