Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Working at the Walmart


Things were going according to plan until the socks.

The Walmart cashier stopped, examined them carefully, then snapping her gum and looking over my head announced, Dey ain't got no price. I looked up from my checkbook and automatically apologized. Shifting her weight to one hip and holding the offensive, unpriced socks in her hand, Cain't ring'um if dey ain't got no price and gave her gum another smack. I took a deep breath and said as pleasantly as I could manage, Can you send someone to get a price, please. With a look that was suspiciously like a sneer, she threw the socks aside and said Ain't got nobody to check. I paused, not quite sure of what to say next and wondering if the socks were worth the inevitable struggle. The cashier stood, chewing her gum indifferently and looking expectantly at me. Slowly I asked, You want me to go check? She shrugged her shoulders elaborately and said nothing.

There were other people in line behind me and I regretted what I was about to do but I regretted the loss of customer service more. I put my pen down and leaned across the counter. Look, hon, I just want the damn socks. Figure it out. She glared at me for a second or two then shouted to another cashier who in turn shrugged and shouted to yet another cashier. Eyes began to turn in my direction and the people behind me began to get restless. The cashier turned back to me then pointedly looked at the other customers in line and rolled her eyes.
I took another breath, reached for the socks and flung them on the counter. Then get me a damn supervisor and maybe they can find a price or I'm going to stand here all day.

The sound of my own raised voice grated on me. I dislike scenes and the people who cause them and I am not the kind of person who loses her temper in public. Leastways, I didn't used to be.
But there comes a time in each of our lives when we've had just one too many sullen, rude, inarticulate, gum chewing, shallow end of the gene pool sales person giving us attitude. This was my time.

After several minutes of this retail stand off, a supervisor appeared who priced the socks at $2.99 a pair. The cashier, postured in insolence and now sulking, looked at me. Well? she demanded, $2.99?

Fine!
I snapped at her, wanting nothing more than to be done the with entire transaction and leave. The socks hadn't been worth it after all.



















No comments: