Saturday, April 30, 2022

A Good Ending

 


My friend, Russell – musician, attorney, and all around decent guy – died yesterday morning after a month long siege of COPD. He touched a great many lives and social media is awash with memories and tributes. There will be a memorial service in his honor on Sunday with food and friends and stories and much music. He was passionate about music, trusted and celebrated it his whole life and appreciated those who made it. I suspect it will be standing room only.


I'm finding it difficult to process the idea that he's gone. We weren't especially close but he was a familiar face around town and I'd known him a very long time. We shared a love for Guy Clark's music and song writing. I watched him care and devote all his time and energy to his beloved wife for months until he finally lost her to cancer. There was always a touch of melancholy to him after her death. He was a liberal and a left winger in a town of right wing activists, no easy task. And I watched him struggle and fight and eventually beat the bottle.


And so on a warm May afternoon, we will take a break from the chores and to-do lists and gather to remember a good man. People will tell stories and there are bound to be tears but there will also be smiles and laughter and music. It will be a good ending and I think he will be pleased.






No comments: