Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Nothing Lasts Forever


Nothing lasts forever.

The little blue car, cosmetically unsightly but as reliable as rain, makes a series of gagging noises when I turn the key and refuses to start. I hope it's no more than the battery but the poor old thing is nearing its 20th birthday and may be ready to give up the ghost. It's 1o5 in the shade and car trouble is the last thing I need but shit happens, I remind myself. I resign myself to it and start looking for the bright side.

It could've happened this morning all the way on the other side of the city and left me stranded at the vet's office.

Even if the a/c is less than perfect in the old Suburban, lots of folks wouldn't have access to a second vehicle.

My Mobil card is paid up and it isn't pouring rain.


I have enough savings to make a down payment on a new car if it's absolutely essential.

Turns out the bright side isn't as far off as I thought. The mechanic replaces the battery for less than a small fortune and confidently sends me on my way.

When it happens a second time not 24 hours later, this time in the early evening as I'm leaving a local bar, I have to work a little harder to find the bright side. The mechanic is distraught to discovers a connection was left loose when the battery was installed and he's so ashamed that it's all he can do to meet my eyes. I tell him not to be a goose, nobody's perfect. He thanks me and gives me a hug, tells me he appreciates my business and my understanding. I've known him for a lot of years and I suspect he means it. That's part of the bright side.

The little blue car lives to fight another day.


















No comments: